“Raised as a child acrobat in the circus, Theodora married the future emperor Justinian I in 523.” 1
- Empress 2
- Syr. Orth. 1
- In hagiography:
- Theodora, Roman empress is commemorated in Theodora and Didymus (text) — [http://syriaca.org/work/1214] . ()6
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 S. A. Harvey, " Theodora (Empress)," in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage ( Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011) http://syriaca.org/bibl/551, pp: 401.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. ( Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003) http://syriaca.org/bibl/4, pp: 300.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. ( Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987) http://syriaca.org/bibl/2, pp: 261.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. ( Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991) http://syriaca.org/bibl/3, pp: 287.
- 5 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity ( The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013) http://syriaca.org/bibl/5, entry: Theodora.
- 6 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca http://syriaca.org/bibl/649, entry: 1054.
137 Catalog Search Results from WorldCat
Based on VIAF ID. May contain inaccuracies. Not curated by Syriaca.org.
- [L'Aventureuse réussite de Théodora.] Crowned Courtesan. The tale of Theodora, Empress of Byzantium ... Translated ... by Warre Bradley Wells
- Women in purple : rulers of Medieval Byzantium
- Theodora : Empress of Byzantium
- Ioan. Petr. de Ludewig, icti ... Vita Iustiniani M. atque Theodorae, Augustorum nec non Triboniani : iurisprudentiae Iustinianae proscenium
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole et al., “ Theodora, Roman empress — ܡܠܟܬܐ ܬܐܘܕܘܪܐ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 1 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/779.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Theodora, Roman empress — ܡܠܟܬܐ ܬܐܘܕܘܪܐ
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, Nathan P. Gibson, James E. Walters, and Thomas A. Carlson, entry contributors, “ Theodora, Roman empress — ܡܠܟܬܐ ܬܐܘܕܘܪܐ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Editing, document design, data architecture, encoding, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts, addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH, matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, data merging, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, Arabic name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Entries adapted from the work of J. M. Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
This entry incorporates copyrighted material from the following work(s):
- Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. ( Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991) http://syriaca.org/bibl/3, pp: 287..
- Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. ( Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987) http://syriaca.org/bibl/2, pp: 261..